Monday, November 25, 2013

Lost City of Giants Discovered in Toronto, Canada

Lost City of Giants Discovered in Toronto, Canada



West Coast Times, Issue 1924, November 29, 1871,
"LOST CITY OF GIANTS DISCOVERED IN TORONTO, CANADA
 Cayuga, August 21st. On Wednesday last, Rev. Nathaniel Wardel, Messrs Orin Wardell, of Toronto and Daniel Fredenburg, were digging on the farm of the later gentleman, which is on the banks of the Grand River, in the township of Cayuga. When they got to five or six feet below the surface a strange sight met them. Piled in layers, one upon top of the other, some two hundred skeletons of human beings nearly perfect-around the neck of each one being a string of beads. There were also deposited in this pit a number of axes and skinners made of stone. In the jaws of several of the skeletons were large stone pipes, one of which Mr. O. Wardell took with him to Toronto a day or two after this Golgotha was unearthed. These skeletons are those of men of gigantic stature, some of them measuring nine feet, very few of them being less than seven feet. Some of the thigh bones were found to be at least half a foot longer than those at present known and one of the skulls being examined completely covered the head of an ordinary person. These skeletons are supposed to belong to a race of people anterior to the Indians. The pit and its ghastly occupants are now open to the view of any who may wish to make a visit there.
     There is not the slightest doubt that the remains of a lost city are on this farm. At various times within the past years the remains of mud-homes with their chimneys had been found; and there are dozens of pits of a similar kind to that just unearthed, though much smaller, in the place which has been discovered before, though the fact has not been made public hitherto. The remains of a blacksmith shop, containing two tons of charcoal and various implements, were turned up a few months ago. The farm, which consists of 150 acres, has been cultivated for nearly a century and was covered with a thick growth of pine, so that it must have been ages since the remains were deposited there. The skulls of the skeletons are of enormous size and are of all manner of shapes. The teeth of most of them are still in an almost perfect state of preservation, though they soon fall out when exposed to air. Some large shells, supposed to have been used for holding water, which were also found in the pit, were almost petrified.
     A good deal of excitement exists in the neighborhood and many visitors call at the farm daily. The skulls and bones of the giants are fast disappearing, being taken away by curiosity hunters. It is the intention of Mr. Fredenburgh to cover the pit very soon. From the appearance of the skulls it would seem that their possessor died a violent death, as many of them were broken and dented. The beads are all of stone and of all sizes and shapes. The pipes are not unlike in shape the cutty pipes and several of them are engraved with dog's heads. They have not lost their virtue of smoking. Some people profess to believe that the locality Fredenburgh Farm was formerly an Indian burial-place but the enormous stature of the skeletons and the fact that pine trees of centuries growth covered the spot, go far to disprove the idea."