Thursday, February 25, 2016

Mass Grave of Ancient Dwarf Skeletons Discovered in Coshocton County, Ohio

Mass Grave of Ancient Dwarf Skeletons Discovered in Coshocton County, Ohio


The skeletons were described as having triangular skulls with no similarities to the other skeletons found in the burial mounds in the county.


Centennial History of Coshocton, County Ohio  1909
   The missionary, Zeisberger, noted a hundred and thirty three years ago the numerous signs of an ancient race here.  He referred particularly to the cemetery containing thousands of graves near the mound three miles south of Coshocton.
  The skeletons reduced to chalky ashes, were three to four and a half feet long, smaller than the Indian  or mound skeletons.  These pygmies have led to much conjecture.  Thus far no definite conclusion is recorded in any of the notices of this ancient city of the dead.
   Skulls were described "as triangular in shape, much flattened at the sides and back, though not with the slant-brow of the Flat Head Indians seen in the West. A hole pierced the back of the head.  The bones were displaced, the skull being found with the pelvis, from which it is inferred that the body was dismembered before burial.

     The long rows of graves of the pygmy race at Coshocton were regularly arranged with heads to the west, a circumstance which has given rise to the theory that these people were sun-worshipers, facing the daily approach of the sun god over the eastern hills. In this respect, however, there is no resemblance to the various positions of the skeletons found in our mounds.